View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-23-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
Hi, I'm a nineteen year old American and I currently am a sophomore in college. This summer, some family friends my father knows through his work gave me the offer to stay with them this summer in Tokyo as they knew I was interested in traveling to Japan. I know I can get a 90 days tourist Visa (I can, right?), so I would presumably stay the full 90 days. During this time, on a tourist visa can I:

a) take part-time English classes at a language school? Or is some other visa required?
b) get any sort of part-time employment? I heard a lot of western bars/nightlife/entertainment type places hire foreign American workers. Is this possible, or would I need a work visa? If so, can I get a work visa while in Japan and have them sponsor me? If that doesn't work, can I teach part-time private English lessons or is that require a work visa as well?

Thanks for any help.
No and no, legally, unfortunately.

1) is possible if you apply now and arrange with the school. Shouldn't be that hard to get a student visa at an legit school.

2) Not legally on a tourist visa, and not many places want or need someone who is going to disappear in three months.