View Single Post
(#44 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlphaDuck View Post
im not saying singing and dancing is not art...

however with all of the art forms you have mentioned....

once you attain a certain level....you HAVE the freedom of expression.

even a movie actor of a certain level can divert off the script...

also i think if you agree that thier primary function is to entertain men...then we are in agreement...on the whole...

this thread was spawned from the fact that

...dirty old Japanese men...and some pervy canadian guy...said the only reason he hired geshia was "to support the arts"

i think thats bull
But the geisha also can do that too when they attain a certain level, once they've been doing it long enough, they are free to train their maiko in their own ways, they are free to select or even compose their own music or dance, of course it has to be within specific guidelines, the same goes for martial art, or anything else.... using photography again, a portrait is a portrait, you can't be "creative" and say "Today, I want to take a portrait, and this pen on my desk is my subject"

That I don't disagree, their work is to entertain (doesn't change the fact that they are artist), but how their employer consider them as, thats a totally different story. I don't know if the "Dirty old Japanese men" and a "Pervy Canadian Guy" really hired them for art or not, thats for us to judge and for them to know, but we cannot just say someone is BSing us because we ourselves felt that "Yup these people are only hiring a geisha out of a perverted reason"

Wait, just to clarify, you know that Geishas are not prostitute right?