View Single Post
(#98 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
11-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
Whoa, dude. Did you really have that bad of an experience there? I've heard nothing but good things about teaching English in Japan. The situation with NOVA is very unfortunate. However, I'm not exactly sure it's as hard to find a job as you make it out to be. I know people who got accepted into schools and they did pretty lousy in school.

The pay may not be able to support a family, but if you are just starting out from college it's pretty good pay in my opinion.

Are there really that few positions? I find it hard to believe that with 126 million Japanese people there are so "few" opportunities. Please explain that to me. Who is teaching all of these people?
Something that wasn't mentioned in that long post by joker8880231 was that ESID (Every Situation Is Different). Not everyone has a bad experience doing JET or teaching English in Japan. Some actually enjoy it. Not all participants of JET get bad housing, some get good places and even houses as opposed to lived-in apartments. Some ALTs aren't used as "human tape recorders" and actually do have opportunities to teach.

As for the family support thing, seems that most who are in things like JET are usually single. For a single person, the pay is pretty decent, as you mentioned.