View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-12-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
That's not much less than what I had... I had a 3' tall fridge, and 2 burners on the stove, and a microwave. But you really don't need very much to cook with. And I definitely think I saved money when I cooked for myself. For instance, you can buy a dozen eggs for $2 or so, right? Well, that works out to 50 cents for a 3 egg omelet. Throw in a few green onions and maybe a couple chopped mushrooms if you like for only pennies more.

A whole package of spaghetti costs $1 or less, and lasts 3-4 meals. You can buy a jar of sauce that will last at least 2 meals for about $3. Again, add fresh onions and mushrooms for very little, along with some Italian seasonings and maybe some meat, and you can have a big spaghetti dinner for about $2, maybe a bit more.

There are lots of other meals too, like the curry rice Nyororin mentioned, that can be easily made for very little money, much less than even a 7/11 pre-made bento. Honestly, one of the reasons why I saved so much money during my time in Japan was because I cooked at home. People who frequently ate out were not able to even come close to my food budget, and IMHO, I think the freshly cooked dinners were better than the conbini bentos anyway!
They probably were, Samurai. I saved by working a part-time job at night, but that didn't allow me to learn to cook. I am not saying cooking for yourself is wrong in any way...I just wasn't smart or motivated enough to do it.