Thread: My Plan v1.0
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

My Plan v1.0 - 12-29-2008, 11:41 PM

Ok,

So I've spent the last month criticizing several users who wanted to make their move to Japan. I think it's about time that I laid out my plans for open criticism.

A little background about myself. I'm a first generation Japanese Canadian who's fluent in Japanese. I've got a degree in Comp.Sci. and I've been working as a systems engineer for IBM for around 14 years. I'm single and I'm living the high life as I work from my condo overlooking the mountains which are just 10 minutes away. I do maybe 4hrs of actual work a day, spend the rest of my time rock climbing, skiing, riding my mountain bike or cruising around the mountain roads in my Vette. (Ok... so I hit my mid life crisis very early. Hahaha!)

Everyone tells me that I'm a lucky bastard and although I don't doubt it, I've always had this dream of dumping the I/T field altogether and starting a Japanese bento-ya business in my current hometown. I've also had this dream of living in Japan for a year (or two?) ever since I spent a few months working in Yokohama back in 1992.

Well enough is enough!

My plan is as follows. I'm thinking of permanently leaving my job and moving to the Kanto area of Japan in the fall. While there, I'd like to work at a Japanese restaurant (preferably at a bento-ya of course) where I'd like to learn the business, make some connections and build upon some ideas I already have in place. Since the pay at these types of jobs are less than ideal (800yen/hr?), I'm thinking of possibly supplementing my income by tutoring at a Eikaiwa a few times a week. Money isn't a huge problem but I'd like to be able to travel to the mountains on the weekends! (In case anyone's wondering, I'll be going with a "Child of a Japanese National" visa which allows me to work up to 3 years in any field.)

I'd like to continue this for at least a year before I re-evaluate my decision and make any changes.

Of course my parents are totally against this but I keep on telling them that I could always return to the I/T field in the very very worst case. Since I have no dependents or permanent ties to Canada other than my job, I'm thinking that I might as well go sooner rather than later.