View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
The Japanese are great lovers of "innovation", particularly when it comes to food and restaurants. It seems that things are constantly being changed/innovated, to remain competitive. To the ever-changing bread and pastry section at 7-11 to the endless variety of flavors that Kit Kat candy.

Any idea yet on where you plan to open your shop?
Actually, I'd like to open a bento-ya in my current town nestled in the Canadian Rockies. One of the reasons is the huge influx of Japanese tourists/tour companies in the area.

My plan is to start off with a catering type of business at first... aimed at the tour companies. This way, I'd be able to sell hundreds of bento's a day with little investment. Depending on how this goes, I'll decide on whether to open up a shop or become a distributor. The latter wouldn't be as prestigious but it'd be nice since it wouldn't necessarily require a store front.

Theoretically, a business like this wouldn't really benefit from any study/research in Japan since the knowledge gained wouldn't exactly translate to the western world due to different customs, regulations, etc. but I figure it couldn't hurt. It also gives me an excuse to get out of my current job. Hahaha!