View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
The problem is that in Japanese is a little bit harder. There are other languages where the same thing happens like Spanish and Italian. I showed once to a person that I could write a text of around 30-40 lines introducing the subjects (2 people plus the firm they were working for) in the beginning and I didn't repeat them at all in the whole text (of course the style becomes not really pretty).
But languages like Italian, Spanish, French...have something which is "conjugating verbs", even if you don't put the subject you can easily understand what the verb refers to.

In Japanese in my opinion is much harder, because the verbs are not so obvious lacking a real conjugation.
Japanese is all about context, and verbs certainly are conjugated, just not in the same ways they are in Spanish, French or Italian. To me, it us much simpler, as there is no difference in the way "I go" "You go" "They go" are conjugated, where all three are different in romance languages.

In Japanese unnecessary words are dropped. That's why "I" and especially "you" appear so rarely. "I am hungry" just becomes "am hungry" because it would be unlikely for you to be talking about anyone else's appetite. And if you are you would make it clear. "Are you hungry?" becomes "are hungry?" because who else would you be talking about?