View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ArisGreek (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ArisGreek Send a message via MSN to ArisGreek Send a message via Yahoo to ArisGreek
Subway & JR Fares (Help!) - 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Good morning, everyone!

I am new to the forum and this seems to be a very neat site so far. I live in Boston and I am traveling to Japan for the first time. I leave January 23 and arrive the 24th at 3:30PM at Narita Airport (I am staying until February 1). I am staying at the Sheraton Miyako Hotel which is near the Meguro subway stop. My question is that I really have no clue what to do yet in Japan (I have some ideas notated below). There is so much I want to do but I heard the train fares are expensive. I have $1,500 I'm bringing for spending money and it is just myself.

What kind of train pass do I need? Is there a pass that I can get that will allow me on every train with just one pass? I understand that there is the JR train, the Toei and the Tokyo Metro. What is the best plan of action?

I know I want to go to Tokyo Disney Land for a day -- is this reasonable? I also want to go to Kyoto for a day. At the same time I want to go to Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower, etc...

So I guess my overall question is...What kind of train pass do I need? Can anyone please help me? Also, what is the cost of such passes? I'll need a 7 day pass.

Lastly, I heard about 100 yen shops...Are these cool places to get cool little trinkets? If so, can anyone please let me know what is a good one?

Thanks!

-MAJ