(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-17-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Good info above.

The only thing I'd add is the option to take the Keisei Skyline train from Narita airport. It stops at Ueno station as opposed to Tokyo but it should be faster than a bus and costs 1920 yen. That's what I normally use.

FWIW, the Narita Express isn't cheap but it'll stop at Shibuya station for just 1000 yen more and Shibuya would be much closer to Meguro than Tokyo or Ueno.

Just some other options to consider.
Yes, the trains are a little more direct, but Tokyo Station and Shibuya station are very busy places; it's hard enough for a new person to Japan to find their way around these stations, let alone a new person who has just gone through 13+ hours of flying and travel time and is also dragging around baggage.

Example, to use the train, you have to get a ticket, find the platform, and then the particular car and seat which is listed on your ticket. There are no porters for your luggage, so you must leave it in the racks at the end of the cars. Once you arrive at Tokyo Station or Shibuya station (which are huge places where many trains and subway lines converge), you have to fight your way through often shoulder-to-shoulder crowds to get to the platform for your next train. You then need to buy another train ticket, and then find the correct platform (there are 2 for each train, one for each direction of travel). Once arriving at Meguro, you have to determine which exit to leave the station from, and then, unless the hotel is very close, and you know how to get there, you'll probably end up taking a taxi anyway.

This is why I recommend the limousine bus and then a taxi. It's fast, and most important, very simple. You only need to buy one ticket, and the farthest you need to walk is from the airport terminal to the curb outside, and then from the bus stop at Tokyo Station to the taxi stand across the street. Less walking (particularly inside the train stations) means much less chance of getting confused and/or lost.