View Single Post
(#142 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Feminism exists within humanism and egalitarianism... not apart from it. The only difference is that the term feminism and feminist is used when referring to the topic of gender equality.
What I meant was, that people who earlier referred to themselves as feminists and fought for equal rights, now refer to themselves as simply humanists, because the word 'feminism' has been tainted by a few idiots. I think it's a good thing, though, to fight all kinds prejudice and not honing in on a specific area, work is needed everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
As for affirmative action? It pisses people off because people don't understand it. I know little about the history of race in Sweden (I have actually been to Sweden though) so whether or not it's appropriate for your country is not something I can comment on. But in America and NZ it is a necessity.
I understand why it might be needed, I really do. People aren't going to change their hiring/promotion patterns just because someone says so. It doesn't change the fact that it comes off as hypocritical when you in one sentence talk about equal rights, where you are judged by merit and not gender/race, and in the next you are asking for race/gender to factor in, IF they are a minority.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan