View Single Post
(#143 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-20-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante View Post
What I meant was, that people who earlier referred to themselves as feminists and fought for equal rights, now refer to themselves as simply humanists, because the word 'feminism' has been tainted by a few idiots.

Really? When studying feminism in relation to International politics we never used the term humanist to refer to some of the well known feminists throughout the past couple of centuries nor was the term considered derogatory or "tainted" by any means.

I simply don't believe you when you say feminists are so ashamed of feminism that they term themselves humanist. If that is the case then they misunderstand the definition of feminism as I've pointed out earlier in the thread. Ironically the social stigmatising of the terms feminist and feminism would be a concern for feminists. Many of the people who have commented in this thread alone, including women see it as a pro-female movement when in fact it is a gender equality and awareness movement.

Quote:
I think it's a good thing, though, to fight all kinds prejudice and not honing in on a specific area, work is needed everywhere.
As do I.. but the term humanist has too broad a definition. Feminist and feminism are more convenient in the right contexts.

Quote:
I understand why it might be needed, I really do. People aren't going to change their hiring/promotion patterns just because someone says so. It doesn't change the fact that it comes off as hypocritical when you in one sentence talk about equal rights, where you are judged by merit and not gender/race, and in the next you are asking for race/gender to factor in, IF they are a minority.
That's the thing though. It's not based on race/gender over merit. You have to be qualified for the job regardless of your skin colour. To assume you lost out to a black guy because of AA is racist because you're assuming that the only reason the black guy could get a job ahead of you is BECAUSE of AA. The black guy got the job because he was qualified.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-20-2009 at 02:50 AM.