View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM

The Japanese government needs to seriously push some incentives to move large companies OUT of Tokyo and more spread around Japan.

That would, in my opinion, make the biggest difference toward the population problem.

People move to where there is work - which ends up being a big city 95% of the time. This takes them away from their families and the social infrastructure they grew up in and are familiar with. They have no family support for a family (a big thing) and they have no space and money. Without friends and family around, there isn`t a whole lot to do but focus on work, so things just get worse.

Outside of the big cities, people have a decent number of kids. It`s just too expensive in the city - but unfortunately that is where the work is, so that`s where most people of childbearing age end up. If they were around their extended family, a lot of the issues and worry in regard to having a child would be reduced. But as things are - no work back by the family, but no space and money in the city.

Quote:
except for the Diet member who resigned because he called Japanese women baby making machines
I think I`ve posted about this multiple times in the past, but that one single sentence was taken so incredibly far out of context that it disgusts me - when what he was saying was INCREDIBLY accurate, and he had the best ideas I`d ever heard. Too bad mass media wanted to get worked up over something and decided to forget to broadcast anything but that half a sentence.

To quote my past post on the subject;
Quote:
I recall his speech being that no matter how hard men in the government may sit around talking about how the population should increase, and coming up with grand schemes... It all comes down to women - There is a limited number of women, and in that population there is a limited number of "baby producing units" ie. functional wombs with willing owners - so the best we can do is to ask them to do their best for the population.

In other words, instead of old men sitting around trading theories, why not ask those who really do have the power to increase the population to do their best.

If you ignore his wording, I think what he said is very accurate, and is in fact empowering to women as he refers to them as the ones with the power, and refers to asking/begging them to do their best.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.