View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-30-2009, 06:58 AM

To add contrast - my experience was the opposite. I found my standard of living shot up off the charts when I moved to Japan, and has stayed there in my opinion when compared to that of most people I know in the US.

I think it really depends on what you prioritize in your life. Someone who loves the land and is a farmer will likely find their "quality of life" much lower in a city, while at the same time someone who loves the city will find their "quality of life" unbearably low if they were to move to what the farmer would consider paradise.

Although I lived without any heating for a while in the US before coming here, the lack of central heating made me raise my eyebrows at first... Now I loathe it every time I encounter it in the Japan or the US. It`s like you`re in a bubble all year round and have little connection to the seasons. I`m a happier and healthier person now that I really notice the seasons and feel some sort of connection to them. Before, cold weather or hot weather was just inconvenience between the house and car - which is sad in a way. Not to even mention the incredible waste of electricity heating/cooling a whole house year round is.

Transportation... Well, I will say little other than where I lived before it took 10 minutes by car to the grocery store, longer to other shopping venues - even though it was in a "city". Public transportation? Buses that didn`t always come, let alone be close to on time.
In Japan, I can be anywhere in the city by public transportation, and know exactly when I`ll get there.

Lack of a clothes dryer is inconvenient at times, but ends there. My clothes have lasted longer than I could ever imagine them lasting with a dryer. I still have stuff that I bought before I came to Japan that is still in good condition. But yes, it does sort of suck when you want something to dry quickly.

------------

At this point though, I consider my standard of living very high. We live in a large condo, with a large yard. We have heating/cooling units in each room of the house, heated floors, and a dehumidifying unit in our bathroom for drying clothes quickly or on rainy days (3 hours for a load). We have a dedicated 100Mbps FTTH line to our condo, a full HD television, high speed reliable cell phones, etc etc. We also have a car, and access to wonderful public transportation.

I cannot say that I could see myself ever moving back to the US. I would feel that my standard of living had dropped.

I see it as quite unfair to judge the general standard of living in a place based on your bad experience in a crappy apartment. I am completely sure I could find something worse in your home country. It all hinges on what you invest into your lifestyle. If you don`t invest all that much - of course it`s going to suck.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.