View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-16-2007, 04:35 AM

To be honest, often Japanese do not even realize that foreign Asians regardless of being male or female are treated as though they were Japanese. A few examples stand out in my mind. I know a female Canadian-Chinese teacher who was riding on the bus with another teacher and myself, both Caucasian males. We were chatting about this and that while the Japanese girls near us kept looking at our Chinese friend saying, "Wow, how does she speak English so well?" Another example is from a male Brazillian who has very Asian facial features. He walks into a Brazillian pizza parlor and the Brazillian girl behind the counter starts asking in Japanese what he would like and he answers her in Portuguese. Laughing, she says she thought he was Japanese. Then you always have all the other Asian English teachers who comment how when alone, they never feel like people are really paying attention to them. But when surrounded by other teachers who are obviously not Japanese, they feel the same attention that we feel on a regular basis of being stared at and having every move we make studied.

All I am trying to say is that Japanese are not necessarily opposed to foreign Asian women, they are simply not as aware of them and just don't pay much attention to them one way or the other.