View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would be amazed if you could find an English speaker who couldn't understand the meaning of

U R Rite.
lol, my father doesn't understand this kind of English. In fact, he hates it when advertisements use such abbreviations. However, I do agree, the majority of people will be able to understand "U r rite", but I also agree with FuzX because minor changes always occur in languages. For example, one should say, according to traditional grammer rules, "It is I" but almost everyone says "It is me" (actually people say it's me, but you get the point). Today, "It is me" has been accepted and is no longer considered grammatically wrong unless you come across someone who is very pedantic about the use of English.

So, if it's not accepted yet, it surely will be accepted in the near future. I don't ever remember English classes caring so much about this type of grammar, so as people keep making the mistake, the mistake will soon become the accepted use. I think the only people that really know these tiny rules about English are foreigners or people that have studied English past Secondary school or college (High School).

Last edited by noodle : 02-23-2009 at 06:19 PM.