Thread: How and why?
View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-01-2009, 01:08 AM

No, no. Everything up above, aside from English teacher, was what I did in the US before the economy took a nosedive, and my political career (Press Secretary/Fundraiser) went south. What I am saying is that I feel looking at Japan as a "by any means necessary" destination is bad juju. If you would be successful in your chosen career in your home country, and you enjoy doing it, and your Japanese ability meets the intended qualifications, THEN I say look for a job in Japan.

I love teaching. Absolutely love my job. The only job I like better is driving warships, and so I'm probably going to go back to doing that. But my point is, I would love that job if it were teaching native speakers in high school just as much as I love teaching my students here. Just as much as I look forward to teaching the sailors I will have in my shipboard division. Teaching is teaching is teaching. And it's something I enjoy doing.

I know a lot of people who come to Japan to teach and they hate the job. They're not cut out for it. Korea, even more so. Even if they love the country they have moved to, it usually isn't enough to keep them from going mad. You have to have a job you love. Understand the easiest way is to teach English, but the easiest way is often not the right way. It may very well not be the right way for you.