View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

English Dialects - 03-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Ok, so I was on the phone with my Dad (he lives in the South, I live in Chicago). I said something in a Chicago slang and he had no idea what I was saying so I had to figure out how they would say it in the South. After the conversation I thought it was interesting, so I looked up as much as I could about Chicago slang and vocabulary and I thought it be interesting to share it and hear comments, comparisons and other dialects!

Note - Yes, normally when I talk I do say these words this way, but when I talk with someone I know isn't from the area I try to not use Chicago dialect too much, it's hard though haha. Some of the ones are related to Chicago culture too.

"Grachki" (Garage Key in standard English)
"Sammich" (Sandwich)
"Sassage" (Sausage)
"Da" (The)
"'s" (Chicagoans tend to add an 's to the end of most stores, for example Meijer becomes Meijer's or Jewel becomes Jewel's)
"Frunchroom" (Literally 'front room', known as a living room elsewhere)
"The Lake" (Lake Michigan)
"Brat" (Short for bratwurst)
"Polish" (Short for Polish sausage)
"Beef" (Short for Italian beef sandwich)
"Goes" (Instead of "Then he says..." Chicagoans use "Then he goes...")
"Guys" (When referring to 2 or more people, no matter the gender)
"Pop" (Not a sound, but the drink known as soda)
"The Taste" (Short for The Taste of Chicago, an annual food festival in Grant Park)
"Junk Dror" (Junk drawer...everyone in Chicago has one)
"Expressway(s)" (Interstate highways in Chicago)
- Dan Ryan
- Kennedy
- Stevenson
- Eisenhower
- Edens
"Gym shoes" (Known as sneakers, tennis shoes or running shoes elsewhere)
"Cash Station" (ATM)
"Wanna come with?" (Chicagoans NEVER use a pronoun after, it always ends in with)
"Jieetyet?" (Did you eat yet?)

These are just a few of them...lemme know what you think or what are some dialect words or phrases you use?