(#24 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
03-31-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobf View Post
I can't believe how controversial RTK is. Here is what people need to know before trying this method.

1. It's primary goal is not to teach you the reading, or the meaning for the most part. It is to allow you to distinguish between kanji and memorize them efficiently.
2. If you want a full understanding of the language, you NEED a supplement, I use Wakan and look up the kanji in it, then write down the onyomi, kunyomi, and definitions. I also jot down example sentences.
3. Don't use this book alone to learn the language, you will need other books with grammar rules and other kanji books as well.

It is a very good book to start you off, as it provides you with great building blocks and a good understanding of how kanji came to be and works, but I recommend supplements for anyone who uses it.
I see what you're saying here but in the book Heisig actually says that using other books to learn kanji will only mess up Heisig's method? I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just throwing this out there because I'm kind of confused by it.