View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyewonee View Post
I have been saving up some money and am hoping to go visit Japan sometime next spring. However, my friend who was doing the same thing saving decided that she no longer wants to go visit.

Although, there is a long time before I actually get to travel there, there are somethings worrying me. I really never traveled just by myself to out of US before.

My concern is how dangerous it would be to travel to Japan for 2 weeks by myself. Being female and not being able to speak Japanese at all.. I prabably will try to get a set tourist trip but was hoping to take some time to myself adventuring.

Would it be safe enough to go out by myself sight seeing? I do not plan to wander out late at night but was hoping to find little nooks and cranny tea shops and temples and such.
Safety-wise, I am sure you will be fine, as long as you are smart. There are predators in some parts of Tokyo, especially at night, but for the most part, Japan is very safe. As a male who lived there alone for a few years, I never remember feeling threatened or unsafe.

I would be more concerned about your own mental stability. Sometimes big adventures like this are best shared, so you can question and explore together. It can be overwhelming mentally, especially if you haven't been out of the US before.