View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostVoice View Post
I am traveling alone as well however it will be this summer. However, from what I researched as well as talking to several Japanese friends, it is a good idea to get a general idea what you are doing, where are you going, and exactly what you want to accomplish. It is a good idea to form a comprehensive plan but also allow some flexibility.

Like I plan on staying in Tokyo for a week and a half however I am also planning to take day trips to Yokohama and Kamakura. However, don't set everything in stone. What cities do you plan on going to? Most big cities have English in the trains and buses but if you plan on venturing into the smaller cities or even towns or villages, it is best to know Japanese. Even then, most of these places may speak a dialect which is hard to understand even for native Japanese speakers.
A week and a half in Tokyo is a long time. I think you can see just about everything worth seeing in half that time and I would branch out to other parts of japan.

It is true in some remote parts of Japan people speak dialects that are difficult for native speakers to understand, but everyone understands basic "Tokyo" Japanese, and unless you are going to Touhoku (and I don't see Touhoku on many travel plans) I wouldn't worry about that. Don't not travel to other parts of japan because of the dialects. It's not that big a deal.