View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 10:44 AM

My area's film studies rather than the wider-reading media studies, but hopefully I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhibee View Post
Hello I am a media student in Britain and am conducting research into how japanese culture affects their horror films and how this is different to american ones. For example, yurei and kabuki theatre make-up have influence in Ju-On.
This is as huge a can of worms as the question "What is Britishness?" Is this for a short essay, a month of coursework, or a year's project?

If it's a project worth punting a few quid on, I strongly reccommend: Japanese Cinema: Texts and Contexts: Amazon.co.uk: Alastair Phillips, Julian Stringer: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhibee View Post
Do you think these films are better than Hollywood ones?
If so why?

Thank you
I tend to find that Hollywood horror matches American appetites. It is brash, often shot without much innovation, using extremely simple storytelling techniques, and tends to substitute for rape fantasy with its sexualisation of victimisation.

Japanese horror on the other hand tends toward either insanity (Tokyo Gore Police) or subtle storytelling with less emphasis on shlock and more on psychological frights (Audition comes to mind).

Oddly I used to believe that I didn't like the Horror genre. Then I realised that I just didn't like Hollywood horror

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.