View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

I'm back... again. - 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM

So this time I mostly went shopping. I know this because my luggage was about 10Kg on the way out, and over 30Kg on the way back

As our hotel was in Sunshine City in Ikebukuro, much of our shopping goodness came from Animate, K-books, Toranoana, etc. We hopped over to Akiba, but there really wasn't much there that we couldn't get in Ikebukuro for far less hassle.

The weather was barely tolerable (I'm English, don't forget. This pasty white skin burns very easily), somewhere around 25-28C the whole week, and around 10% humidity. The insects were also nibbling quite voraciously

We also went out to Kawagoe, which was fantastic; climbed Takao-san, which was awesome; and took the Enoden down to Kamakura, which was grrrrrreat! I'd recommend all three destinations without hesitation.

We ditched the idea of getting seats to the Sumo. The cheap seats were around £30 a head, and so far away from the dohyo that you'd need binoculars. Instead we caught the 2am highlights and watched later bouts live on telly, which was awesome.

All in all I don't think I'll do a one-week trip again. Our body clocks never really adjusted (hence a lot of 2am sumo ), although it's proving quite easy to get back on GMT.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.