View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I have no idea what it's like to be gay in Japan, and I wonder if anyone can say what they think it's like there for someone who is queer. I know there are things there like yaoi and yuri that are pretty popular, but I don't know if people are accepting of it outside of media. (Kind of like watching someone running through the streets naked in a movie, but being absolutely against a person doing that in real life.)

I'm open to falling in love with anyone, regardless of gender. I've heard from articles that Japan is a homophobic country overall - but then, so is America, and I can openly express my interests without feeling discriminated against where I live. I'm going to Kyoto. Will I be butchered if I'm open about my sexuality there? Should I sneak through Tokyo's gay clubs at night?
Sneaking to Tokyo at night from Kyoto is not only not necessary, but not possible.

In many ways Japan has a don't ask don't tell attitude about it. Most people don't really care. I would love for you to post those articles, because in my experience it wasn't really the case. Osaka has a gay district and I know of one gay parade that happens there. You will not be butchered.