View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Well, you can probably find the articles pretty easily by looking it up on Google. You can type "homophobia in japan" or something. As for Tokyo, I was being sarcastic. I guess it doesn't work well on the Internet.

Anyway, it's good to hear that there's a gay pride parade in Osaka. "Don't ask don't tell" isn't too great. That's usually just another way to oppress groups of people, another way to deny identities - and, if people don't tell, how are they supposed to find lovers? Eh, I guess that's a problem in most societies.
I don't feel like searching for articles about homophobia in Japan. You said you read some news articles, and I'd like to read the ones you had read.

You are applying Western thinking to a culture that's been doing it it's own way a lot longer than we have. Japan is pretty much "don't ask don't tell" about all things private (to make a sweeping generalization) especially what goes on in the bedroom. It doesn't just apply to gays, but to everybody. As long as what you are doing doesn't affect me, I won't worry about it.