View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
What happens is that people clued up about anime, download a series before it's licensed and then decide whether to buy it or not when it comes out. They get to preview it.

Those who are a bit slower off the mark, download it when it's been licensed, and then decide whether to buy it or not. Those in the above category can't then call these people thieves having enjoyed the series for free themselves. So we have to ban the downloading of unlicensed anime?
I hope I am not blowing your mind when I say that the download of fansubs of unlicensed materials is illegal as well. This is covered in the Berne Convention, and almost every country in the world, including of West agreed. Basically it means that international copyrights are respected the same way as domestic copyrights. So no, they don't "get to" preview it. It is still illegal and is still stealing from someone who created something without paying for it. The only difference is the victim is in another country, so you are less likely to get caught.