View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Khengi (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Much of what is said here is true, but the assertion that the Japanese "subtitles" are added to shows because natives cannot understand what is said is ridiculously misleading.
The Japanese woman who I teach students alongside with (native from Kansai, frequently talks to be in 関西弁), brought in various recorded tapes of Japanese game shows for practice. Upon asking why there were Japanese subs used on a Japanese show, she responded, "Sometimes the people are misunderstood when speaking, and Kanji is added on screen to show the differentiation between words and phrases", and I'm not paraphrasing.

Quote:
I also am not aware of any kanji with >10 readings, let alone "many."
These are all the readings of the single Kanji 明.

あ.かり あか.るい あか.るむ あか.らむ あき.らか あ.ける -あ.け あ.く あ.くる あ.かす
あきら あけ あす きら け さや さやか とし はる み め

Quote:
You'll also likely survive your ordeal liking anime a lot less than before you spoke Japanese. Once I could watch anime without subtitles, I started realizing how vapid and terrible most of it was, just like American TV shows are mostly terrible.
I totally freaking agree, I'll be perfectly honest. It's just so... ugh, cliche at times when you finally understand it. Those subtitles make it more epic than it really is.