View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
I'd say the Japanese animated films win hands down, I like some Disney films too, but there's a lot of cliches there, most of them are childish and based in fairy tales, but I love Fantasia though.

I think Ghibli films aren't the only ones out there, they're a bit more ambitious, trying to be artistic and all that, but I think they're great.

The traditional animation technique of Miyazaki and his studio are much more impressive than many of those American CG animations IMO, I think most of those films lack "soul".

Pixar 3D animation aren't bad, but I'm used to see CG cut scenes in games and they're a lot better in technical aspects.

I think in terms of CG the Japanese made some unsurpassable films like Final Fantasy Spirits Within and FFVII Advent Children, if you ask me those are the best CG animated films ever and I'm talking about the technique and not about the story, of course. Pixar's CG compared to those are even "poor" I think...

The reason why I dislike the American animated films are the fact most of them are made for children, especially the Pixar and Disney ones, I mean I don't think they would ever release something like Perfect Blue or Wings Of Honneamise.
It's true, those CG films must've taken a LOT of work to make - but add that to the plot and that character development, and I don think those films were good movies at all. I love watching them just to see the beautiful animation - but the plot really makes me cringe.

That's why I prefer Pixar and Disney movies. From what I've seen, the characters are no beautifully created.

I really disagree about Pixar and Disney movies being made for children. They target children, but can definitely be enjoyed by adults. It's kind of like Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's put up on Nick, but then more adults than expected started watching and enjoying that TV series. Finding Nemo was definitely a film for parents, sending the message out that it's important to know when to let go of their kids. UP was something that elderly adults can definitely appreciate, as it sent out the message that people don't need to travel the world to have a great adventure. All they need to do is experience life.

The only Ghibli film I can agree having soul was Spirited Away. It was definitely very emotionally moving. The others, though, kind of just left me feeling like, "Yay. Happy ending. What else is on?" Spirited Away, most Pixar films, and ALL of the Disney movies from the Renaissance + Tarzan made me bawl like a baby. The Lion King? I don't think it's possible to watch that movie without crying. Ghibli is pale in comparison, I think.

LOVE: pass it on