View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Khengi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
I'd say the Japanese animated films win hands down, I like some Disney films too, but there's a lot of cliches there, most of them are childish and based in fairy tales, but I love Fantasia though.

I think Ghibli films aren't the only ones out there, they're a bit more ambitious, trying to be artistic and all that, but I think they're great.

The traditional animation technique of Miyazaki and his studio are much more impressive than many of those American CG animations IMO, I think most of those films lack "soul".

Pixar 3D animation aren't bad, but I'm used to see CG cut scenes in games and they're a lot better in technical aspects.

I think in terms of CG the Japanese made some unsurpassable films like Final Fantasy Spirits Within and FFVII Advent Children, if you ask me those are the best CG animated films ever and I'm talking about the technique and not about the story, of course. Pixar's CG compared to those are even "poor" I think...

The reason why I dislike the American animated films are the fact most of them are made for children, especially the Pixar and Disney ones, I mean I don't think they would ever release something like Perfect Blue or Wings Of Honneamise.
That's almost unfair saying that the Disney movies are made just for kids. The reason why animation in Japan seems to have such a wide age range is because it's apart of their culture. You don't see Mickey Mouse on every building in downtown Chicago, but the chances of seeing an anime character on a name-brand building is pretty high, from what I've heard.

---------------------------
I offer free Japanese lessons on my home site here!

[Note: I am proficient in the language (even proficient enough to get hired at a university for teaching), but do not look to me before a native or someone more proficient, like Nagoyankee]