View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-07-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Any society rises and falls like an wheel; hence bankruptcy.

It refers how the modern West deviates a lot from others. Sudden rise of industrialization, colonialism, enlightenment philosophies, and change of values. These were a unusually hasten development. This big historical remark brought many differences how the West views non-West differently, or vice versa.

But what he worried about is that the West's cycle revolves and changes too fast, compare to other societies.

In a nutshell, it's a belief that there is always the Thesis vs. Anti-thesis conflict and later being compromised by Syn-thesis.

A very foundational ideology of modern Western thoughts. And we see this in today's economy, politics, and culture.
Oh right.. yeah I'm familiar with the thesis+antithesis=synthesis concept. That Hegelian thoughts contribute to the rapid progression experienced by Western (modern) societies is something that makes sense I suppose.

As for his views on civilisation... they still seem very vague and alien to me. What does he essentially believe? That civilisations inevitably rise and fall? That the fall of civilisations is due to this bankruptcy? I mean I don't necessarily disagree with it... but I'm certainly unfamiliar with this idea.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 07-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.