View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-07-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
As for his views on civilisation... they still seem very vague and alien to me. What does he essentially believe? That civilisations inevitably rise and fall? That the fall of civilisations is due to this bankruptcy? I mean I don't necessarily disagree with it... but I'm certainly unfamiliar with this idea.
It is because René Guénon is so-called an Orientalist. He was one of fewest Westerners who got the grasp of Asian philosophy and beliefs (Islamic, Indian, Chinese, etc) and saw the West beyond the Western scope.

Despite being very mystic about his own idea, he foresaw many social flaws of the Western society through very different inconvenient ways of spiritualism. Thus he was a vocal opponent of modernism in terms of criticizing some portion of aspects of the Western civilization (not all). He was not anti-Western, he wanted to improve the West by adapting non-Western thoughts uniquely.

But his importance is simple: he is one of the early people who presented the fact that the West views the world as a whole is very limited and need to be fixed.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.