View Single Post
(#190 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I didn`t see anyone discounting the experience. Just making the statement that it is worlds away from mainland Japan. That is a fact. It is Japan, but it is unique within Japan.
Is it wrong to tell people that one place is going to be very much different than the rest?
It's fine if one were to simply say, "Your experience is different from my experience." However, look at what was said:

A: Hello everybody, Just moved to Okinawa...and am loving it. I saw this post and am just giving my opinion. I lived in NY, went to college out there and i loved it but Japan is not so bad. Yes things are expensive here but you wont hear me complaining, I live in a nice condo and have a decent car and am loving the the beach life...and that was my 2cents.

Kam

B: Okinawa is worlds away from mainland Japan

B's statement is presented as though to say, though you're on Japan, you're "worlds away" and so can't know what "mainland" culture is like. The word "mainland" is often used to say that one part of land is more important than the other. It's "main" and "land" put together, so it's an example in itself. So, yes, I do think that the statement is trying to discount A's experience in Japan.

LOVE: pass it on