View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 08:04 PM

mercedesjin: I kind of get where your coming from with who gets to decide who is rude. But this is a poll from around the world, at popular tourist destinations and hotels. Some of these places may stereotype the french but its hard to ignore when everyone says they are the worst. Its a poll from everywhere and this is the consensus. I do agree though that it is up to the person to decide if they are rude or not, and everyone has a different perspective of what rude is.

Now from my personal experience, I'm not to sure. I have net rude and polite people from many different countries. But I can agree, or at least I don't disagree with some of the choices on the list. For the most part when I see Japanese people abroad they are very easy going and having lots of fun. They do tend to be quiet though so this could help. And I always see, (or at least it seems like it) the Japanese making an effort to speak English to people even if they know very little English. And I can agree with the French one becuase in my personal experience I have met some very rude french people. I saw them as rude becuase they were very brash, and didn't really make an attempt to adapt to the culture. And I have actually seen a group of french people speak only in french while trying to buy something. The cashier had no idea what they were saying, but they kept speaking in french and were actually getting angry becuase the lady could not understand them. Now I understand this is not a way to base the actions of a country on the whole.

I have seen many rude and polite tourists. From my experience those are just the ones that stand out. I have seen many rude British tourists, but also many polite ones. From what I have seen the result changes drastically when a family is involved or not. Meaning when there are kids the group as a whole seems to be more polite in the culture. And I was actually surprised to not see the US on there anywhere. Maybe its becuase it is my home country and I can notice easier when someone is being rude but some of the worst tourists in my experience have been American. Now this could be just from my personal experience but I know many Americans who get angry when foreigners don't speak English in the US. But these same people go to another country and make no attempt to speak the native language, and even go as far as to expect them to speak English.

As I said this is just my personal experience and I'm not trying to speak for or judge any country as a whole. Every country has their good and their bad.
Most of my "research" happened in Florida, which is a big tourist location. Its actually interesting, you could go to Disney world and see all these cultures in action and decide for yourself. lol

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.