View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
seems like you need to check out this teaching thing a bit more as it seems to be the major factor that will determine how long you stay.

here's a couple of things to bear in mind:

there are loads of english teachers here all after the same jobs, many are qualified, and many have work experience. many dont of course, but thats what youre up against.

officially youre only allowed to work certain hours, but unoffically you can work longer, ie private classes etc. if you have friends that can set up a few private classes a week then you might be ok. also, if you happen to be very popular, you might get more and more students by word of mouth. that is however a very slow process, and youve got to have something that will make them come to you as opposed to going elsewhere.

i was in a similar situation as yourself, where i was there was nothing happening, but atleast here i could teach private classes while i got my shit together.

if you have friends out there, get intouch with them, tell them that you really do need to teach part time if youre going to survive, maybe they can introduce a couple of students to you. and if you dont have anyone out here, you can still do it, but it will be harder and it would largely depend on your drive to secure students. bear in mind, it will be slow going at first.

which ever way you go, good luck.
Maybe I should clarify--I'm just under the impression that teaching English seems to be the most commonly available job in Japan at the moment. But I'm totally willing to do whatever job I can--if there are other jobs that pay more part-time in Japan, I'll gladly do those! I'm not too good with waitress jobs because of health problems, but any job I can sit down at (even just for brief breaks) would be fine.

And thank you!