View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
I definitely agree with this poster on the first two. Mostly becuase I haven't been to the other places. But Himeji is very nice, has some shopping, and is pretty compact. The castle is fantastic. Miyajima is also amazing, and the hike up to the top is beautiful. Im sure the others they recommended are awesome too. I would also recommend Nara to visit. It has two very awesome temples. Todaiji temple is my favorite, it has the big buddah in it. Plus thier are deer outside the temple that are fun. And for the historical side, there is horyoji which has some of the oldest wooden building in Japan.
Yes, at least half his time (or more) should be spent in the Kansai area itself... Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Koya-san, etc There is a lot to see and do around there. I wouldn't cut the Kansai time below 9 days or so (Osaka 2-3 days, Kyoto 2-4 days, Nara 1-2 days, Koya-san 1-2 days, and any other places of personal interest on top of that.

But that still leaves quite a few days. He could simply spend more time in these same places, or get out a bit and visit some other places. If he wanted to, he could even do 3 days to Himeji, Hiroshima, and Miyajima, and then 5 days to Lake Biwa, Kanazawa, Takayama, and the Japan Alps. Or spend 3 or 4 days in a leisurely trip around the Kii peninsula seeing all the sights.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan