(#233 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Exactly, Jason.

I think it is good to get a publisher's viewpoint, and it is interesting to notice how he points out how conventions are getting more popular but sales are declining.

In the modern world musicians make almost nothing on album sales. Basically any money made goes to the record companies, but the musicians make money off touring. Even if people steal...sorry, DL their music for free online, the concert is an experience which cannot be duplicated.

Anime and manga makers don't have that to fall back on. I can only gather from the conclusions of his post that more people are taking the stuff for free online.

So then people argue, "Well then, manga publishers need to start working on digital delivery." But if people are reading it for free digitally, are they going to turn around and start paying for it digitally? Many of these same pirates claim to prefer the physical copies. Does it work both ways?
For the musicians to give a concert, there have to be enough fans buying the tickets. And why are they buying the tickets? If they can listen to it on their Ipod/Mp4 or on their computer/digitally?

Because they are fans, and they want to see the musician to feel that energy and have the chance the even talk to THEM. But in the other hand, they ripped/Burned the CD's from the internet, but are still going to the concerts. Why do they pay 50€ to go to an "more-then-avarage"concert and wont buy a CD who would cost as half as the ticket? (This is talking in general, generalizing it)

Now Manga, does not have a "2nd income" like in the music industry. Well they do, the "spread-the-word" from scanlators who made many TV stations to buy and DUB the rights of certain animes, BUT it is not sufficient to cover the loss. And not every manga have an Anime adaptation.

But even so, with people ripping-off/burning CD's from downloading, sales from highly known bands still make profit. Like the latest album from "Metallica", sold more copies then some of their previous 80's/90s albuns (There were no "downloading" source at that time)

Unfortunatly, Manga does not have a live-acting resort like in the music industry (Concerts). Thats what it makes it "crippled" and hard to find a solution when i compare it to the music industry.

To finalise my statements, i guess that selling digitalized copies wont solve the problem for the simple fact that the mentality of "Manga/Anime" worldwhide fans are to primitive on this subject and their prespective of what a "Manga/Anime" are does not help aswell. What i mean by this? I mean that worldwhide anime/manga "fans" see it as "free" and they dont actualy know that people put effort to it everyday and struggle to survive to give them some enjoyment.

I also think that Manga just need a bit of more time, it is something "recent" to worldwhide fans when comparing to other subjects. I bet the prespective on Mangas/Animes in the next 10 years will be much different.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.