(#227 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-03-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
Life in Japan is more civilized in a way. In the US the scenary may be better on a daily basis, but here life is better on a daily basis.
I might have to agree that the daily life is better. People always ask me "OMG OMG HOW'S JAPAN", and I always answer the same way:

"There are three things they have here that are better: cell phones, vending machines, and customer service."

And boy are they better. Thousands of times over. To the point that I actually get ticked off if I have to wait in a line for service in America for more than 20 seconds. I'm spoiled.

Didn't feel like reading through 11 pages, but I read the first few and the last few, and I have to agree largely. Japan is a great place to be, certainly, but it has its flaws just like any other country, as does my own (America). It's hard to notice at first, but Japan's society really is crumbling. The birthrate is in the negative, the population is aging and dying off, social services are in the gutter, the male population is swiftly beating down the potential for future generations, rampant apathy for people's own political system prevents them from voting or even caring, thus letting the politicians and beaurocrats run wild, tearing down the country and putting one incompetent prime minister after the other in office to further destroy what was once a great nation. I could go on and on; Japan really is an anthropolgist's/sociologist's wet dream, there are just THAT many glaring problems.

But America's laundry list is certainly just as long. As would any country's be. I think the reason you hear so many people hoot and holler about living in Japan is that they're either grossly mis/uninformed, or tweenage weaboos with stars in their eyes. Nothing particularly wrong with either, and nothing a little education won't fix in both cases.

I'll be living in Japan for I think... 3 or so more years. 4, tops. Then it's back to Americaland with my lady. Heck, she's been telling me how badly she wants to get out of Japan and move to America practically since we met, and if a Japanese national is saying that, you might be able to glean something.

I love it in Japan, but I can't live here the rest of my life.