View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Yes, you are right, I confused PRC and ROC.

I don't think being a foreigner would necessarily be a negative experience for a student, but I do think being adopted could be a target point for hazing. To be honest, I think the child might even be more alienated by adults than younger children.

Like I said, I worked on a Japanese newspaper article about adoption and in the course of the research I talked to several Japanese people about adoption. It was something I had never known about, and I found some attitudes rather shocking, to be honest.

I asked several Japanese people if their spouse, blood child and adopted child were drowning and they could only save two of them, who would they save? 100% said spouse and blood child. I asked what if it was spouse or adopted child 100% said spouse. None had to think about it. When I brought up the idea that some Americans would choose an adopted child over a spouse, they laughed or scoffed. "Blood before water" "But a spouse is not a blood relative" I countered. "It is the same as a blood relative. An adopted child will never be the same as a blood relative."

But don't take my word for it. Please talk to people around you and ask them what they think about it and what they think life would be like for you if you did it.

I have never been to Fukuchiyama, so I don't know about life there, but I think you should ask about it to colleagues and neighbors and friends. I hope the answers you get are less surprising than the ones I got.

Last edited by MMM : 08-05-2009 at 09:32 PM.