View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t think the situation is quite the same in Japan simply because there is value placed upon the stay-at-home parent, and a broad net of family and area support. (Remember, the one staying at home is part of the community - the one working is part of the company. It`s very hard to lose a community, but if you lose a job the company is gone.)
I think that her situation is pretty normal for divorces in Japan, although obviously not everyone is going to be the same.

She had a job prior to having children, but stayed at home since mid-pregnancy with her first child.
Yes, there's value culturally. This means that there can also be value in the community. However, after a person has lost their job in the company or their "job" at home, will their co-workers support them economically? Will the community support them financially?

I'll say it again, I'm not expert on Japanese society when it comes to divorce, but I don't know if Japanese society will ever value the stay-at-home partner economically. Culture is beautiful, but culture has lost out to economics in Japan before - as culture has lost out to economics across many nations and societies. Money is what rules the world now, not culture. And, if the person at home isn't making that money, then they're most likely not going to be valued enough to survive.

The example of your friend shows that this isn't completely black-and-white. I've been assuming that stay-at-home mothers have never had any jobs, which isn't the best assumption. If a person has had a job in the past, then yes, they'll have a better chance of survival. If not, then I doubt they would have many skills - a resume to show - and I doubt they would do very well after the divorce.

LOVE: pass it on