(#250 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka14 View Post
I saw it on Mythbusters on Discovery Channel, when Adam was getting his tongue pierced just to see if it hurt, and it didn't hurt him. But you are right, that still doesn't mean it won't hurt anybody

Actually if you ask any professional piercer they will tell you it is first and foremost the sharpness of the instrument used. Sewing needles really aren't very sharp compared to trocars, and that's why they hurt.

The guess about speed is a related factor ---- the sharper the cutting impliment the faster its done. Of course all that speed alone does, if the sharpness is identical, is that the pain takes longer to reach your brain than it takes to make the cut.... if your pierceer is really good. but it still reaches the brain eventually.

The last major factor is the individual's pain receptors at the point of entry and how the brain translates the stimulus. Adam may or may not be a pain pig, but he has already shown himself to have a rather high pain tolerance.

One of my tatts seriously hurt - 7 on a scale of 10. The area was not happy to have needle pricks. But when I broke my finger at a 90 degree angle a few months ago and reset it myself (no doc available for an hour or two) the pain level for me was about a 4 out of 10. But those who saw it were wincing as if it was a 12 out of 10.

So if the idea of pain worries you then don't do it. You have to expect serious pain during (and later with after care) the piercing, and just be pleased if it turns out not to be such a big issue.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.