View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-03-2009, 02:33 AM

I don't think you two are understanding that the OP chose the exact features that have been characterized as inferior to use as describing blacks and Asians. It is easy to say "It doesn't bother me" when you both are of a race in a country that hasn't been oppressed.

Maybe it's "dumb" to get upset over, but you have to understand that it is more than a racial description, but is a tool in racism.

Dark, you may truly think that being characterized as having a big nose and big lips or a flat face in neither negative nor positive, but trust me, these aren't items that are checked off when people look at a list of physical characteristics they are attracted too. "Yeah, I like a guy who is smart and funny, and has really big lips." or "I am looking for an Asian girl, the flatter the face the better."

Get real. These are racial stereotypes, and are negative ones. So I go back to my first post. If the OP wants to find sensitive ways to talk about race, I would drop these racist stereotypes.

And it is interesting, Alan, you bring up large noses with Jewish people, too. Another racial stereotype that has been used to oppress the Jewish people for decades.

Last edited by MMM : 09-03-2009 at 02:46 AM.