View Single Post
(#25 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So with this logic the president should not be throwing out baseballs, going to church, celebrating Christmas, roasting hotdogs, sleeping, or anything that is not about fixing health care or the education system. He would be impeached in a week. Considering the amount of vacation time the last president took, spending a few minutes encouraging students to stay in school seems like a very good use of his time. Those few minutes might make a difference in some children's lives, and dare I say I doubt anyone would be worse off by it.
Apples and Oranges. by work I mean office time, and by that I mean focus, and time spent on this speech instead of given to health care. Please read what I have posted, I have highlighted several key parts of that paragraph, which should explain I'm not losing sleep over this, and the contrast view I have on the subject.

I don't believe he should be speaking to the students, why you might ask, several reasons. Right now he needs to be working on health care, and putting up a BI-partisan bill. Arguably you can say kids are important, but are they going to go down a drain if they are not spoken to by the president? I question the effectiveness of this (If it inspires one kid to do good then it was a success). One could also say he is wasting around a hour of actual class time, but that arguable too. Education system needs fixen, but talking and trying to inspire people only go so far before reality hits them. Simply put, in a way there are more pressing concerns right now then giving a speech, which could be given at a later date, while also putting the focus on education.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.