View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Apples and Oranges. by work I mean office time, and by that I mean focus, and time spent on this speech instead of given to health care. Please read what I have posted, I have highlighted several key parts of that paragraph, which should explain I'm not losing sleep over this, and the contrast view I have on the subject.

I don't believe he should be speaking to the students, why you might ask, several reasons. Right now he needs to be working on health care, and putting up a BI-partisan bill. Arguably you can say kids are important, but are they going to go down a drain if they are not spoken to by the president? I question the effectiveness of this (If it inspires one kid to do good then it was a success). One could also say he is wasting around a hour of actual class time, but that arguable too. Education system needs fixen, but talking and trying to inspire people only go so far before reality hits them. Simply put, in a way there are more pressing concerns right now then giving a speech, which could be given at a later date, while also putting the focus on education.
Repeating yourself time and time again is not going to answer my questions. There is enough time in the day to do both, so this is really a non-argument. I think you would have to agree. If it was veterans or elderly people he was asked to talk to no one would say it was a waste of his time. Why you think it is because it is children is a mystery to me.

Speeches are not avoided because there are pressing concerns, speeches are made because there are pressing concerns. I agree, the education system in America needs work. Maybe this isn't going to fix it, but if 10 kids decide to stay in school rather than drop out because what the president says next week, I think it is worth it. I think you can agree to that.

(Where was the part where I said "you people" and made you so mad again?)