View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
All I'm familiar with in Japan is they have K-1; the biggest stand-up fighting competition in the world.

They do not do Muay thai in japan, it is K-1 based (so, Japanese Kick Boxing is based on a ruleset, not a tradition). They do not hit with elbows (not many events allow elbow strikes other than Muay Thai because it is very dangerous).

They also do not do clinching. Clinching is where you get very close to the opponent (basically hugging him), and try to throw him. It's very similar to Judo, but in Muay Thai people do not lower their heads to get a good throw, because the knee of their opponent will surely hit them, making it a unique style of wrestling.

You can't do elbows or clinching in K-1, so it's not Muay Thai.

As for Sumo, women don't do it. I'm not an expert on Sumo, but I'm guessing having a woman do it would be an insult to Japanese tradition.

Even in Muay Thai, in the large stadiums in Bangkok (Lumpinee and Rachadamnoen), women are not allowed to even touch the ring, let alone get in it to fight.

Some Thai fighters go as far as they won't even let a woman touch them whilst they're preparing for a fight coz they think it's bad luck and their girliness is contagious (yup, they're dumb like that).

Of course some people train Muay Thai in Japan.

And there is a tradition of women's Sumo (though it's a bit seedy).