View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

09-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
A few nights ago I was watching TV and they showed images of a wild boar being shot. The women watching were so shocked and appalled then relieved when it turned out only to be a tranqualiser dart. The looks on their faces showed true emotion to this. Then.....they wheeled out the Boar all cooked and obviously smelling delicious, all their care for the animal it had been that they just had melted away as they tucked in shouting oishii at every possible moment.

Very odd attitudes to food.
That's a very interesting byproduct of modern society. "What we do not see can't hurt us." It's not like seeing the animal you eat die is a part of most of our lives... I've never seen what I've eat live aside from crawfish (Louisiana cuisine).

More related, I have a friend who had a somewhat similar experience in Japan. It wasn't that he was a vegetarian or anything, he was simply allergic to most seafood. This included fish and shellfish. This alone made eating a little difficult in Japan. In fact, he'd be joked with often about how he can't eat fish (all good natured ).

The worst part is when we we're invited to go out to eat with some Japanese people, the main food was almost always based on fish.