(#7 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
10-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
GTJ, you are shifting to "whiny gaijin" mode. This is a part of a slow-burn culture shock. I knew many people it happened to, and it is real common. After 4 to 6 months in Japan they we would meet up but instead of talking about cool new discoveries the conversations became nit-picky complaining sessions about Japan.

Again, it's pretty normal, but I hope you don't start too many more threads like this. I do want you to be able to talk through your life in Japan...that is important...but people that don't live there might read these and be...thrown off. I hope this makes sense and you don't take it the wrong way.
I just wrote a bunch but then deleted it because I know I'm in a really crummy mood and I didn't read what you wrote carefully enough.

It boils down to the fact that I've been here for quite a while, and certainly long enough to be past the culture shock. I enrolled in a number of cross-cultural psychology, modern Japanese societal issues, and Japanese anthropology courses to be able to work through and talk through most problems I come across. For example, when I first got here I was really miffed that nobody would sit next to me on busses or trains, regardless of how packed the things were. Instead of just getting more and more angry about it, I started asking the right questions, such as "what factors might contribute to this" and "what can I do to help alleviate it?".

Er, I'm digressing.

I'd hope from my other contributions to the forum you can glean that I'm not exactly a "noob", but I know you didn't mean anything by it.

The point of this thread is that it's something I've always wondered about (yes it ticks me off from time to time), but could never get any answers about. So I want to see what other foreigners can get from it and if anyone has any more insight than I into the matter.

I mean come on, you gotta admit it's kinda ridiculous

Some thing I just can't get used to, and persist to annoy me, and have nothing to do with culture shock. However, about 95% of those things stem from the geinojin and celebrities on Japanese TV, and actually just Japanese TV in general. When I walk outside into the real world I find myself feeling much better.

I need to get out more.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。