View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymp3 View Post
OK, I think I need justify my point a little bit further. First, I'm doing this only for an academic purpose, which is to better my ability to adapt to different languages. And how is the existance of "japanese accent" wrong, when a considerable number of people around the world are busy learning a british or french accent? Are the French speaking english poorly? or the scottish cannot speak english properly? or russell peters is only discriminating his own people when he use an indian accent in his acts? Accents only indicate one's origin and should mean nothing else. it does not mean that one is a bad english speaker when speaking with an accent.
Correct me if I'm wrong
1) There is no academic value in learning a "Japanese accent"

2) In the US speaking in a "Japanese accent" is a little like putting on black face and speaking in ebonics. It is offensive.

3) You see British actors learning American accents and American actors learning European accents, but in this day and age you do not see American or European actors speaking in Japanese or Chinese accents. Why? Because it would be offensive.

Whether or not accents should only indicate place or origin, when you are talking about an essentially homogeneous society from an island country like Japan it is different and you are getting into racial issues.

There is no right way or good way for a non-Japanese to imitate a "Japanese accent". There is no pride in Japan for a "Japanese accent" in English like there is in England for an "English accent". Japanese who try to learn English well try to speak without an Japanese accent, so by using one it is demeaning.

I am not calling you a racist, I am just saying this is a very bad idea.