Thread: GPS in Japan
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gwenster (Offline)
New to JF

GPS in Japan - 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Hi,

After exactly a year, I'm going back to Japan again this November 7th till the 21st. It'll be my 2nd trip, and I do not have a problem traveling with the public transit system (still saved my SUICA card hehe)

At any rate, last year I missed a few spots that I would have liked to visit, those acces maps aren't everything so I figured : GPS !
Unlike 1-2 years ago and beyond, top of the line PDA's including a SIRFSTAR GPS module can now be bought 2nd hand for as low as 50 to 70 euro's due to the fact that phones come with all that now. No more missing around obscurely located things this time (dont think temples or other big attractions but artsy farty places,small specialty 2nd hand shops etc.) right ?

Wrong, Tom Tom does not have a Japanese map.
Sure I can use Google maps on my cellphone but Google maps requires bandwidth (3G use) and we all know how much data costs in a totally different country, if you dont ? Alot So that's outta the picture.

I tried searching the forums and this was the only thing that came close: Need information on getting GPS navigator in English for Japan - but no awnsers there.

Does anybody know GPS software that works on a windows mobile device that has maps for Tokyo/Yokohama (In English)
Googling this has me finding very vague solutions that I do not wish to go trough.

Thanks in advance.