(#479 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-11-2009, 05:26 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

'She said, “I feel queasy.”'

Years ago, when I was just started working in a pharmaceutical department of a hospital, the senior nurse came into the pharmacy and said, “I feel queasy”.
You would understand to hear that she was suffering from nausea, wouldn’t you?
Well, she said it in Japanese, and the words she said were “mukamuka suru.” That means both “I feel sick to my stomach” and “I feel offended”, so I first thought she had had some conflicts.
I said, “What’s up?” meaning “I’m prepared to listen about your worries.”
She didn’t realize I was having a misunderstanding, and continued saying “I feel queasy.” for several minutes. I waited her confiding in me. Then she said, “E ga itai.”
I was in a crisis! “Itai” means “have a pain”, but I didn’t know what “e” was. I thought it must have been a part of a human body I had never heard.
“I should have studied harder!” I regretted in my mind at the time, because I had just mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” on a phone call from a paramedic. (The both words have the same pronunciation in Japanese medical term.)
I said, “Which part?” with diffidence. She repeated “E ga itai” for about 20 minutes.
And then, she started telling she had eaten too much. I finally realized what she was saying.
“You have a pain in your stomach?”
She angrily looked at me. Her eyes seemed to be saying “How many times do I have to say that?”
However, “stomach” is “i”. Not “e”. Never!
She just wanted some stomach medicine.
Just after that, I got to know the senior nurse was famous for her dialect and many people didn’t understand what she said. I was wondering how possible she was unaware of her dialect and if she was inconvenient and frustrating, but I didn’t have guts to ask her.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP