View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Artvampire (Offline)
JF Regular

11-15-2009, 11:04 PM

That was my first concern when I decided to pull off looking VK. I'm a Romanti-goth, and I dislike the generic trend that is emo, or as Asians call "scene kids". We goths are VERY anti-emo because it steals fashion and image from other scenes, thusly misconveying them. It's an exploitation and feels almost violating.

For me, I can appreciate the dark romantic aspects of j-rock music. I've been discovering new bands, and I like what Tokyo Decadance is doing, and I find inspiration from Selia and DJ Sisen. American goth has turned industrial and forgotten it's dark romantic roots. As they say, the grass looks greener on the other side. I think VK is absolutely beautiful and touches on my tastes, not only as a fashion but in ambiance as well.

It took me about a year to perfect my VK look, which still isn't exactly Japanese, as I'm still keeping in my own American goth fashion. No Caucasian can truly look VK simply because they are NOT Asian. But emulation really is a compliment. It's best just to guide people to do it properly. And if they are taught into the attitude of VK then everything else will fall into place. I understand completely what you mean by "attitude. For me, the gothic attitude is to display charisma, charm, and intelligence. Which is exactly who I am.

There are a lot of emos that think they are goth, but clothes do not make the person. "You are not what you wear, you are as you act".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
It's been said SO MANY TIMES before - but I'm gonna say it again.

I personally think that Caucasians should stay FAR AWAY from VK makeup, because they don't have the attitude or the look in general to pull it off. They end up looking like hobos or like emo-scene-kids. Nothing like VK.