(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-17-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
To be honest, it would have to be a pretty special cake regardless to be "better" than what I usually make at home but that is exciting news nonetheless! I will have to let my freind know; she's gearing up for her first xmas in Japan.
I`m not familiar with the traditional UK Christmas cake - so I can`t really comment on how they would compare - but I have had a really delicious mincemeat cake and an excellent Yule Log style cake that wasn`t just a disguised sponge roll cake.
As strange as it may seem, it is usually the smaller cake places that have the truly good stuff. They spend their time making things that taste good rather than on mass production of sponge... So they don`t make tons of money and stay eternally small.

Quote:
Some of the conbini/depato cakes are just down-right odd to my taste. I think they must steam them, because they're weirdly rubbery in texture. I couldn't eat them either.
If I recall correctly, there is gelatin mixed into the batter itself to preserve shape and prevent crumbling during shipping. It changes the texture a bit but not the flavor itself - supposedly. I`ve never liked sponge cake to begin with, even the "real" and (so I`ve heard) good types - so the ones sold here are doubly unpleasant.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.